When it comes to planning the perfect road trip, it’s important to remember the essentials. For me, that means queueing up episodes of some of my favorite podcasts.
So when I realized that it had been almost two years since I first shared some of my favorite podcasts for road trips, I knew it was time for an updated list. What I listen to largely depends on my mood so I love having an eclectic list of podcasts to choose some. Lately, some of my favorite podcasts for road trips include:
- Call Your Girlfriend – Billed as a podcast for “long-distance besties everywhere,” Call Your Girlfriend is (almost) as good as a weekly Skype call with your own best friend. Hosts Aminatou Sow and Ann Friedman cover the everything from politics and current events to pop culture guilty pleasures and friendship advice.
- My Favorite Murder – If you’re not a true crime fan, this podcast probably isn’t for you. But if you binge watch “Criminal Minds” in your free time, My Favorite Murder will quickly become a favorite. Hosts and comedians Karen Kilgariff and Georgia Hardstark share their mutual obsession with murder in a way that simultaneously doesn’t feel disrespectful to its victims and will make you laugh more than you thought possible.
- Criminal – What 99% Invisible does for design, Criminal explores with crime. Hosted by Phoebe Judge, Criminal explores crime in all facets of life. Above all else, Criminal challenges its listeners to reexamine how we judge the guilty.
- Mystery Show – Unfortunately there are only six episodes of Mystery Show. And I can’t even begin to tell you how desperately I wish there were more. Host Starlee Kine explores mysteries of all sorts in this short series. Best of all, Starlee has the charming ability to have authentic conversations with everyone, including a TicketMaster customer service representative.
- Reply All – Technically Reply All is a podcast about the Internet, but its episodes span so much more. If you don’t want to start at the beginning of its archive, one of my favorite episodes is #82 Hello?. Hosts Alex Goldman and PJ Vogt take calls from listeners for 48 hours straight in one of the most interesting and heartwarming podcasts I’ve ever listened to.
What are some of your favorite podcasts for road trips?